Find out more about Kokstad and what this magnificent little town at the foothills of the Drakensberg hast to offer you while on vacation.
This building was originally built to house the local public library. It was built in 1907 on a plot of land which was generously donated by Mr. and Mrs. Wirth. Mrs. Wirth was the librarian for many years. The building, an attractive red brick structure with a veranda and stucco decoration, was built by W. J. Wilmot.
The interior comprised a large public reading room and library a members reading and smoking room. The library was well furnished and equipped. Gas lighting was installed and the portable reading lamps on the table were novelty.
In 1982 the building was taken over for use as a museum.
The Griquas emerged from the mountain to see endless green grazing, abundant water and game of every kind. The destination was the spur on the south slopes of Mount Currie where they threw up a sod fort. As the wagons out spanned, each burgher put up a primitive hut. The building inside the fort was to serve as a church, assembly and school untill more permanent quarters could be built.
This church was started in 1870 and completed in 1877.
It was built by the Griquas themselves when they had the time to spare from their farms. The pulpit was made William Dower using yellow-wood from the Ingeli Forest. The communion set is very special as it was sent to the original Griqua church in Phillippolus in 1845 as a gift from a church in Wigaan, England. This set is made of pewter and is still used regularly at every communion service in this church.
The windows and brss lamp fittings are all originals dating from the 1870′s. The wooden rail down the center of the church separated the men from the women although this is no longer practiced.
Without doubt the most striking and the largest stained glass window in the Cathedral is that of St Patrick, which is positioned above the double doors into the church. This window as well as the two long windows in the sanctuary were crafted by the German firm of Dr Didtmann of Linnich, Germany, purveyors to His Holiness to the Pope. This window measures 3 metres by 3 metres and contains much intricate detail and medallions in each corner. The St Patrick’s window is still regarded by the Dr Didtmann firm as the very best example of their craftsmanship
Caves are frequent in the more easily eroded sandstone, and many have rock paintings by the Bushmen. The Drakensberg has the world largest collection of Bushmen Cave Paintings, ranging between 35000 and 40000 works of bushmen art. Between the Drakensberg Royal Natal National Park and Bushman’s Neck many individual rock paintings have been recorded at different caves and overhanging sites. In the mountains of East Griqualand bushmen art is abundant.
Being the main source of Kokstads water supply, the Crystal spring dam is fed by the pure water of Crystal Spring. Crystal Spings Dam provides boating and angling opportunities as well as a variety of wild life such as Reed buck and Zebras.
WORLD WAR I & II MONUMENT